Water treatment at Search & Rescue

No no... not the water torture treatment.

During our last search & rescue exercise, we were told "Be prepared to get wet and dirty". We didnt know what it means exactly until the first team - Scott & handler came back from the search. Both of them came back covered with mud from head to toe. Some teams decided not to go ahead as they are not prepared. But HC decided that we should do it, since we only get to trained twice a month unlike the rest.
When it was our turn to search, I dashed ahead of HC and started using my nose to find the victim. I go through tunnels and go all the way inside the rubbles, and found muddy water that is chest deep (my chest la, not human's). I can smell that the victim was behind the wall and started barking. HC, who was not allowed into the rubble until I barked as indication, started her way into the tunnel and rubble very slowly. (HC needs to work on her agility skills.. she's damn slow). While waiting for her slow descend, I spotted a few large foam boards floating on the muddy water. I decided to keep myself dry and climb onto the foam board. When HC and officer saw me, they started laughing cos it looks like I am on a 'boat' instead of in the water as expected.
Finally, after my continous barking, they decided to reward me with the ball. Yeah! mission accomplished!

(HC : this exercise was tough for the humans instead as we had to walk in muddy water that is ankle deep and had to climb up and down to reach inside the rubble. After that exercise, my shoes and pants were all muddy and wet. But my condition was not as bad as Scott's handler cos I heard that Scott led his handler into the rumble through a longer and dirtier route. Naughty Scott! hehe)

No comments: